Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What have I been up to?

Well, I'm a bit behind on the posts, but I'll try to catch you all up, right now.

So, as you can see by my last post I was planning on going to Poland. However, that didn't work out. A couple of things happened, but ultimately what happened was that we missed the flight.

On Friday April 25, Freek and I went to his internship. Freek is a climbing instructor as part of his school (he is studying sports and movement). While Freek taught people how to climb, I climbed with a guy named Stijn. We ended up climbing for six hours, which was a blast. After that, we went to Stijn's house in a city called Nijmegan (it was now about 10:30 pm). The plan was to catch a few hours of sleep and then go run in the annual Batavieren race. It's a team race that goes about 185 kilometeres. I was running 6.1 km starting at 1:30 am.

Well, it turned out we didn't go to bed. I spent the next 10 hours running and cheering and occasionally sleeping in the back of a van.

Anways, once our team (about six students from Freek's school) had finished our section the race, Freek and I got on a train, ready to go to Eindhoven. We were going to Eindhoven, as you may know, to catch a train to Polland.

Well, to make a long story short we missed the plane. The whole day was a surreal experience. We spent an hour on a bus, that seemed to be going in circles. Freek and I both kept falling asleep and then jerking awake, afraid we might have missed our stop.

So, there we were, in the Eindhoven airport, sleepless, and flightless. We decided to make the best of the situation. So, we got back on the train and headed back to the finish line of the race.

You see, the main motivation for most of the runners of the Batavieren race is the party after the race.

Well, it was quite a party. It was set up in the middle of a universitie's campus. There were fields and fields of tents. I was told that there are around 9,000 students at this party. There were five or six DJ's and four or five stages.

It was a fun party, to say the least. However, the next morning, I couldn't help but think.

The fields all over the campous were covered in garbage. Plastic cups and all sorts of things. As we were leaving people were already beginning to clean up. However, the resembalance was startling. It looked like India.

Anyways, it was weird to see. I have some photos of various things and I will post them as soon as I have a chance.

2 comments:

Terri said...

sounds like a ton of fun Eli. I agree with Jen....I think you are having more fun than anyone right now, heehee

Starship said...

sounds like camp parties! only 46 days til staff week! i'm pumped are you?