Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A trip to Missouri

Well, just returned from Kansas City, MO. Actually didn't just return, returned Sunday night. The trip was amazing, we got there Saturday. There were just around 2000 other college journalists and something like 200 other schools.
The Sentinel, the paper I write for, won two best of show awards (1st place) and one pacemaker award.
Overall it was a very fun convention. I probably drank a bit too much, however, I had some great conversations and met some very interesting people.
One odd thing about Kansas City is the size of the place versus the feel of the place. The city itself is huge, lots of big building, etc. However, during the day it feels absolutely deserted. It's very weird. I asked a barrister about it and he said that it's because it's so corporate. There just isn't much life outside of business. There was a neat covered area, which had a lot of bars/restaurants and featured music almost every night of the week. The area, called the Power and Light District, is privately owned, and features of of the most bizarre dress codes I've ever heard seen. Among other things you aren't allowed to wear plain white t's, cut up pants and frayed hats. So weird. It was a fun place, but kind of weird because it was all so controlled. There were many many private security guys all over the place.
The other bummer was that you had to be 21 to get in. After being turned away at the door I managed to wiggle my way in a back door. Yay for underage drinking.
So, I'm back home for now. We leave for India on Dec. 29. Which is coming right up, hard to believe. No more traveling until then, however, I will try to write about my trip preparations.
It is rainy and cold in North Idaho. This hasn't stopped me from riding my bike, of which I'm very proud. Hopefully I keep it up!
My plans in Holland are begining to solidify. Tomorrow morning I'm talking to Freek to finalize. Looks like I'll be living with him. That will be a lot of fun. I hope to bike around Holland, I've heard it's very very bike friendly. Speaking of bikes, check out my uncle Pat's blog. He's insane!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah, answered my own question...just needed to read more recent blog!! heehee. Glad the Sentinel did so well!! I was reading through that most recent Issue and stumbled across a random photo of me talking with Gashe Thupten Phelgye, tibetan monk...lol. I ended up on the front page of the Press with a similar photo with him. So funny. we were talking about food and I was making him laugh with all my questions, heehee. But it appears I am sharing some great wisdom with him, when really I was like, "hey I really want to go full veggie, but my body goes into shock if I don't eat some sort of red meat at least twice a month, what do I do????" lol I said it I'm sure in my animated way talking a lot with my hands. anyway.....I loved your articles in the Sentinel. You are a great writer Eli. Glad you are so passionate about it!