Saturday, April 26, 2008

In Seattle/My first time blogging

Well this is my first blog ever. Don't really have a whole lot to say, but I figured I should get used to this now as it would be nice to continue blogging while traveling.
Currently I'm in Seattle with North Idaho College's (NIC) journalism program. We arrived around 2 p.m. Went immediately to Safeco field to get our tickets to the Mariners game. Never been there before quite the experience. Huge and lost of money/time invested in it. Went to our Hotel. The Quality Inn near Aurora Avenue. Then we went on a tour of the Seattle Times. Guy giving us the tour had been working in journalism for almost 40 years. For the majority of that time he had been doing shitty work (that's how he made it sound). Finally he landed the job at the Times but it still seems like and awful lot of nothing for not all that much.
There were 40,000 people at the game tonight. I really enjoyed the game, don't get me wrong. But it seemed kind of wrong that all that attention and energy was being focused on a sporting event. Wouldn't it be better to invest that money and time in doing service for others? (Nah that's stupid)
That reminds me of an idea my father introduced me to known as servant leadership. The best leaders (according to this philosophy) are those that are willing to serve others wholeheartedly and unashamedly. Which, needless to say, is hard to do.
But it that does seem fundamentally true to me. The times that I am happiest are when I'm serving others. Not when I'm just lookin' out for maself. I wonder what it's like for other people?
Well it is late and I hope to wake up in time for the complimentary breakfast that this hotel provides its paying guests. 
Eli

No comments: